jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Import in versionStorage
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:55:15 GMT
> Hi,
>
> On 11/25/06, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/24/06, SADAUNE Frederique (EURIWARE)
> > <frederique.sadaune@euriware.fr> wrote:
> > > I want to import documents in Jackrabbit's repository but I don't manage
> > > to import their different versions.
> > >
> > > Is there another way than checkout(),checkin() ?
> > >
> > > The backup tool sends a ConstraintViolationException due to the node's
> > > protected property when trying to import directly on the versionStorage.
> >
> > unless there is a really compelling reason i would strongly discourage to
> > manipulate meta data directly and rather use the appropriate api methods.
> >
> > after all there's a reason why the meta data is 'protected'.
>
> I think Frederique's concern is valid, there needs to be a way to
> restore not only current versions but also the version histories of
> nodes from a backup. This is the key reason for extending the
> WorkspaceImporter functionality to meet the needs of Nicolas' backup
> tool.

i interpreted frederique's use case as 'importing' new documents,
not restoring a jackrabbit backup. i might have got him wrong though.

wrt WorkspaceImporter: i agree that it's not suited for restoring meta data,
it was not designed for this use case and IMO it's the wrong approach
as i've pointed out repeatedly. 'import' and 'restore' operations have IMO
completely different semantics.

cheers
stefan