jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query performance for large query results
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:06:47 GMT
Hi,

> I totally agree. Even in Jukkas patch the addition of an offset doesn't bring
> any performance improvements.

You are right, the current implementation is not optimized.

>> (even if the first implementation will not be optimized).
>> Just from an API standpoint.

My reason to ask for setOffset was, I was hoping the performance can
optimized more easily. Skip needs to be called after getNodes. If
getNodes already 'knows' before how many nodes will be skipped, then
it may be easier to optimize getNodes (in the future). Of course this
is my assumption, and may not be true at all, and for me optimizing it
is not a high priority. getNodes could just fetch the whole result in
one step if the limit is smaller than some number. This may save you
one network call. But as far as I know there is no setOffset in Lucene
currently. I'm OK even without setOffset.

Thomas