jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Node references limitations
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:32:08 GMT
Hi,

In Jackrabbit, there is currently a limitation on how many references
(properties referencing to this node) a node can have. The reason is
that node references are kept in an in-memory list when getting the
references, and also when adding/deleting a reference.

I would like to work on this problem. There is already a Jira issue
about it, but it is closed as 'Won't Fix': JCR-74 "NodeReferences
handling". I could create a new issue, or this issue can be re-opened
(it looks like I can not do that however).

This is somewhat related to JCR-642 "Support flat content
hierarchies", but can be implemented independently.

My current idea is: instead of reading/updating/storing the list of
references whenever there is a change, use a new class
NodeReferencesChanges to keep track of changes where possible. Then
change the implementation of NodeReferences (that is still used, but
only when calling getReferences) to be file-buffered when it is too
large.

Of course it can be implemented in another way as well, for example
delegating the reference management to a new component, but the impact
in the current code would be bigger I think (not sure if the amount of
work would be bigger however).

What do you think?

Thomas