jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Import in versionStorage
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:19:45 GMT

On 11/25/06, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> i interpreted frederique's use case as 'importing' new documents,
> not restoring a jackrabbit backup. i might have got him wrong though.

My understanding was that he wants to import not only the documents
but also their version histories. It could be because of
backup/restore, migrating from another repository, or some other
reason. In any case we don't currently offer enough functionality to
achieve the use case.

> wrt WorkspaceImporter: i agree that it's not suited for restoring meta data,
> it was not designed for this use case and IMO it's the wrong approach
> as i've pointed out repeatedly. 'import' and 'restore' operations have IMO
> completely different semantics.

I hear you. :-) My position is that they are close enough (especially
in Nicolas' design that's based on the XML serializations) that
sharing code makes sense, as long as the details are sorted out

I agree that it might be worth exploring also alternatives to the
current backup/restore design. For example a specialized import/export
interface that works directly at the PersistenceManager level could
simplify and considerably speed up things at the expense of adding
another low-level dependency and leaving all the consistency issues

Jukka Zitting

View raw message