jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Import in versionStorage
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:19:45 GMT
Hi,

On 11/25/06, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> i interpreted frederique's use case as 'importing' new documents,
> not restoring a jackrabbit backup. i might have got him wrong though.

My understanding was that he wants to import not only the documents
but also their version histories. It could be because of
backup/restore, migrating from another repository, or some other
reason. In any case we don't currently offer enough functionality to
achieve the use case.

> wrt WorkspaceImporter: i agree that it's not suited for restoring meta data,
> it was not designed for this use case and IMO it's the wrong approach
> as i've pointed out repeatedly. 'import' and 'restore' operations have IMO
> completely different semantics.

I hear you. :-) My position is that they are close enough (especially
in Nicolas' design that's based on the XML serializations) that
sharing code makes sense, as long as the details are sorted out
properly.

I agree that it might be worth exploring also alternatives to the
current backup/restore design. For example a specialized import/export
interface that works directly at the PersistenceManager level could
simplify and considerably speed up things at the expense of adding
another low-level dependency and leaving all the consistency issues
open.

BR,

Jukka Zitting