jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r473755 [1/43] - in /jackrabbit/trunk/contrib/jcr-browser: ./ src/ src/main/ src/main/java/ src/main/java/org/ src/main/java/org/apache/ src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/ src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/browser/ src/main/resour
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:30:35 GMT
Hi,

On 11/14/06, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> No, svn:externals is evil.  Placing a specific jar in our subversion
> is not recommended either, but at least that gets us out of problems
> associated with forking dojo (jar format is just gzipped tar and,
> unlike zip, is guaranteed to work on all platforms that we care about).

(Actually a jar is internally a zip archive. The JVM contains built-in
zip file handling, so jar/zip files are generally better than tarballs
in Java-land.)

> I don't understand why you need to make the webapp build process
> in "as few manual steps as possible".  That's why people write
> release scripts.

Common laziness. The less manual steps or custom scripting we have,
the more streamlined and reliable our builds are. The
checkout-and-build sequence for all our components should be:

   $ svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/jackrabbit/trunk/foo
   $ cd foo
   $ maven   # or "mvn"

We already have two very well maintained tools for automatically
downloading and managing build dependencies: Subversion and Maven.
IMHO it just doesn't make sense to write our own script to do the
same.

Maven would indeed be the best solution as we use it for all the other
external dependencies, but the Dojo people didn't like the idea (see
http://dojotoolkit.org/pipermail/dojo-interest/2006-October/017957.html).
I'll ping them to see if they'd reconsider.

BR,

Jukka Zitting