jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r473755 [1/43] - in /jackrabbit/trunk/contrib/jcr-browser: ./ src/ src/main/ src/main/java/ src/main/java/org/ src/main/java/org/apache/ src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/ src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/browser/ src/main/resour
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:21:39 GMT
Hi,

On 11/13/06, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> If we are not planning on maintaining the dojo files as a fork,
> then we include installation instructions with the webapp, or an
> install script that builds a webapp from our source and the latest
> tarball from dojo.  The only time that we would distribute both is
> when the RM builds a release, at which time the RM would install
> the best available version of dojo inside the release jar.

I really prefer to have as few manual steps as possible in both normal
and release builds. Making the build script automatically download
Dojo is IMHO out of the question unless we want to reinvent Maven or
Ivy.

> We do not need it in our subversion unless we plan on forking the
> dojo content.  We are talking about 20MB of *source*.

I see two reasonable alternatives if we don't want to have the Dojo
source tree as individual files in our svn:

* Include a Dojo release zip instead of the individual source files,
and instruct Maven to extract the contents into the webapp at build
time.

* Use svn:externals to get the source directly from the Dojo svn repository.

BR,

Jukka Zitting