jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Query performance for large query results
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:44:42 GMT
Thomas Mueller wrote:
> My reason to ask for setOffset was, I was hoping the performance can
> optimized more easily. Skip needs to be called after getNodes. If
> getNodes already 'knows' before how many nodes will be skipped, then
> it may be easier to optimize getNodes (in the future). Of course this
> is my assumption, and may not be true at all, and for me optimizing it
> is not a high priority. getNodes could just fetch the whole result in
> one step if the limit is smaller than some number. This may save you
> one network call. But as far as I know there is no setOffset in Lucene
> currently. I'm OK even without setOffset.

The expensive part is checking access rights on a potential node to return. The
current implementation using lucene requires getting the document from the index
to find out the uuid of the node and then check access using this uuid. Skipping
results in lucene alone wouldn't be a big deal, but we need to find out how many
documents to skip the user has actually access too :-/

regards
  marcel