jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Florent Guillaume ...@nuxeo.com>
Subject Re: Import in versionStorage
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:20:03 GMT
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> On 11/25/06, Nicolas <ntoper@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> On 11/25/06, Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > wrt WorkspaceImporter: i agree that it's not suited for restoring meta
>> > data,
>> > it was not designed for this use case and IMO it's the wrong approach
>> > as i've pointed out repeatedly. 'import' and 'restore' operations
>> have IMO
>> > completely different semantics.
>>

>> Actually the backup tool is not using WorkspaceImporter in the backup
>> tool.
>> We use a class heavily based on it with some changes disseminated
>> throughout
>> all the code. It is a bad solution and I acknowledge it.
>>
>> The idea is to extract out of WorkspaceImporter a base class (but
>> first it
>> needs refactoring). We would then use it for the WorkspaceImporter and
>> a new
>> RestoreImporter class. This way the common code would not be
>> duplicated but
>> each class would be able to express their own semantics.
>>
>> As Frederique's use case points it out, I believe there is a need for
>> those
>> kind of low level operations and not only for the backup tool.
>
> i can only think of one legitimate use case that justifies low-level
> operations
> directly on meta data that circumvents the api calls, and that's the
> repository
> restore operation.
> of meta data

To expand a bit on Frédérique's use case: she wants to import lots of data
from another sql-based repository. This includes creating version data, and
controlling the VersionHistory and Version object's UUIDs (because these
UUIDs are referenced by properties in other objects). Using checkin/checkout
for that means we lose the UUID consistency, and have to post-process some
of the properties as we do the import.

So a system view import of the version storage would really be nice.

Florent