jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Jukka Zitting (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (JCR-569) WorkspaceImporter Refactoring
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:20:05 GMT
    [ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-569?page=comments#action_12451283 ] 
            
Jukka Zitting commented on JCR-569:
-----------------------------------

Committed some small-scale improvements in revision 477142.

Looking at the class more closely, it seems like the key to simplifying the code flows would
be to get rid of the "aborted" and "succeeded" marker flags, relying more on code structure
to indicate the current state of the computation. See the patch attached to JCR-546 for one
possible approach to removing (or reducing the visibility of) the "succeeded" flag. The "aborted"
flag could possibly be replaced by using the State pattern like in the JCR-RMI Value implementation.

> WorkspaceImporter Refactoring
> -----------------------------
>
>                 Key: JCR-569
>                 URL: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-569
>             Project: Jackrabbit
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>            Reporter: Nicolas Toper
>         Assigned To: Jukka Zitting
>         Attachments: GenericImporter.patch, SysViewImporter.patch, WorkspaceImporter.patch,
WorkspaceImporter.patch, WorkspaceImporter.patch
>
>
> Hi,
> As you know, I have run into an issue with the backup tool using the WorkspaceImporter.
I ended up copy/pasting large body of code since the current WorkspaceImporter was not flexible
enough for my use (in my class called SysViewImporter). This solution was perfectly valid
for Google SoC (a lot of time constraints) but unacceptable in the long run for any project
(we hate large body of duplicate code :p).
> Also, some issues have been raised with this class (i.e. jcr:root importation, allowsSameNameSiblings
issue). 
> Overall I feel this class  is circumvoluted and really hard to understand. For instance,
the current code contains at most 5 imbricated if and uses a lot of different ways to pass
information (stacks, objects set on null). 
> I tried to refactor my SysViewImporter and the WorkspaceImporter but it implies a new
code for the WorkspaceImporter and the SysViewImporter. Here is its skeleton! I first wanted
to gather the community feedback before stepping in. I tried moving all "work code" away from
the startNode method and reorganise it for readilibility.
> Please give me your feedback.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators: http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Administrators.jspa
-
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

        

Mime
View raw message