jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Rinner <ste...@collettiva.com>
Subject Re: Support concurrent node modifications
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:00:09 GMT

On Oct 4, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree. Of course there are other (may be better) ways to achieve
> the same
> without such problems, like using a deeper hierarchy. But the flat
> hierarchy
> is an important use case IMO. Many developers are used to this, and
> it will
> be hard to educate them to do it in a different way. I think it
> should be
> considered to change the implementation to allow fast addition of
> child
> nodes to a node. I'm not sure if this change alone will solve all
> problems
> (may be not).
>
> At the same time, I think the current model of node references
> should be
> changed to allow O(1) time when adding or removing a reference to a
> node. In
> my opinion, the same mechanism could be used for references and for
> child
> nodes.

I definitely second these ideas.
We are currently implementing a wiki which calls for flat hierarchies
(yes you can invent some hierarchies but there is no real hierarchy
in the data so it's more like adding unnecessary complexity).

We are also running against the limitations of the current references
implementation (all references of a node in a blob and therefore
truncation if you got a LOT of references).
By the way - is there really no rdbms-based persistence manager out
there using proper relations instead of blobs for references?

- stefan