jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to create a HTTP remote file system?
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 09:44:33 GMT
hi christian,

On 10/6/06, UpAndGone <upandgone@web.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to use an existing storage server that has a REST interface. So
> storing files is basically writing its contents to a HTTP stream. Would it
> be possible to implement this form of a file system for jackrabbit?

theoretically, yes. however, IMO it wouldn't make sense. jackrabbit uses
the FileSystem abstraction for persisting internal repository state (e.g.
custom node type defininitions, registered namespaces etc.). some
persistence managers use the FileSystem for persisting serialized item
state (ObjectPersistenceManager, XMLPersistenceManager).

see http://jackrabbit.apache.org/faq.html#whats-pm

if you'd use such an http based FileSystem with one of these persistence
managers performance would be painfully slow, at best.

> I briefly looked at the FileSystem interface. Problems I see with
> getRandomAccessOutputStream() and length() on remote files. Is implementing
> this interface the only thing I need to worry about? Also I remember I read
> somewhere on the jackrabbit website that writing a PM for an existing data
> store is not encouraged, is it?

correct, see http://jackrabbit.apache.org/faq.html#pm-abuse

cheers
stefan