jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support concurrent node modifications
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:48:18 GMT
> Hi,
>
> The issue of concurrent node modifications from different sessions not
> being supported has (again) recently been raised. It seems like a
> really useful feature that is only prevented by the limitations of the
> current NodeState implementation. Are there other reasons why we
> couldn't support such modifications?

the main problems are maintaining consistency of same-name sibling subscripts
and order of child nodes.

the spec clearly states that adding/removing child node entries causes a
modification of the parent node, i.e. adding a child node requires the parent
to be saved as well. the current behavior of jackrabbit is in accordance with
the spec. however, a more sophisticated approach to determine whether a
node is 'stale' would be to analyze the modifications rather than deciding
based on the 'modifiied' flag alone.

i created a jira issue that addresses the handling of trivial changes:

cheers
stefan