jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Tako Schotanus" <quinte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unregistering namespaces
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:04:16 GMT
Hi

On 10/20/06, Nicolas <ntoper@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If unregistering a ns is an unfrequent operation, can't we simply check
> for
> every node?

I imagine so, that's why I asked where the ns is used because it it's that
"simple" I might write a patch myself. I suppose some kind of
repository-wide (write-)lock is necessary though to prevent anyone from
changing the repository at the same time.

Another idea would be simply to leave it to the developer responsability to
> unregister a ns only if there are no content? In a second step we could
> manage those checks.

It's a possibility, especially if we put big warnings in the docs and the
code.

They way I see it is that you could potentially wreck your repository by
deleting a ns that is still in use, but you could also easily fix it by
adding the missing ns again.

What do you think?

Well personally I'm not in any hurry to have this feature, I was working on
a "namespace manager" and I added several test namespaces before I found out
I couldn't delete them anymore, but it's no big deal they are not hurting me
in any way.

So if anyone is set against being able to delete a ns while there is
possibly still content using it I can wait until somebody does it properly.

Cheers,
 -Tako