jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: XPath position() issues
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:01:48 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Sounds good. Could the reindexing somehow be limited to just updating
> the position field?

The underlying lucene engine does not allow such updates, you can only delete an
existing node from the index and re-add it again with the updated field.

> I'm afraid that the operation would otherwise be
> quite expensive in performance.

Me too. The omission of a position field in the index was on purpose for
scalability reasons when there are a lot of same name siblings. I would rather
suggest to fix / improve the position handling in the query builder. This also
keeps the fix backward compatible. Introducing a new field in the index would
require a re-indexing of the repository to get it working.

regards
  marcel