jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:59:48 GMT
Robert r. Sanders schrieb:
>>> Having tried mapping a WeDAV
>>> location as a network drive I can say that it really doesn't work in a
>>> usable fashion.
>> Really? So far I experienced a generally suboptimal perfomance
>> but it works just as well as CIFS for me, both on MacOSX and Windows.
>> What issues did you encounter?
> We tried Win2k client machines connecting to a Subversion server set to
> auto-version.  Opening a "web folder" worked ok; but trying to map that
> to a drive letter seemed to result in all sorts of issues, one of which
> I believe was an infinite loop in the login prompt.  Its been over a
> year, so the details have gotten kind of fuzzy.  Anyway, we were trying
> to use non-WebDAV aware programs (e.g. Flash, Wave file editors, etc...)
> and this also seemed to often result in zero-byte files being stored on
> the server.  Maybe a different combination on the server-side would have
> fixed the issue, I can't say.

Well. If programs act suboptimal when presented with a JCR server mapped
to a drive letter through WebDAV, why do you think they'll work any
better with a JCR server mapped to a drive letter through CIFS? It's
only a different transport, but I don't think the main issues (*) will
go away.

Best regards, Julian

(*) such as: lots of temp files, no use of locking, creating new files
and moving them over instead of overwriting existing ones, causing loss
of metadata