jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:38:19 GMT
Frans Thamura wrote:
> Serge Huber wrote:
>>
>> Well I looked at Alfresco a while back but for me the main difference
>> was at the time :
>>
>> - Nodes in Alfresco seem more file-oriented (basically it's mostly
>> configured for that type of usage)
>> - Nodes in Jackrabbit are quite general
>>
> +1
>
> alfresco using database to store meta, and jackrabbit using file,
I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. Alfresco's
implementation is based on the JCR, so it is quite similar to
Jackrabbit's. The difference is that by default configuration,
Jackrabbit's repository is much more general, while Alfresco's is
configured to store files. But they are both able to store data in a JCR
compliant way.

I must say I'm not entirely convinced by hierarchical storage though,
because more and more data querying is done through the query language,
as personalization and searching become a good way to present relevant
data to users. A tree is a projection of a graph, and it would be a
shame to have only one possible "tree view" of the data. As I see the
tree view, this is the "underlying" data model, used mostly by
application writers, and then the actual data retrieval and processing
can be done in multiple axis.

Regards,
  Serge Huber.