jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: Alfresco + Jackrabbit
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:25:33 GMT

Well I looked at Alfresco a while back but for me the main difference
was at the time :

- Nodes in Alfresco seem more file-oriented (basically it's mostly
configured for that type of usage)
- Nodes in Jackrabbit are quite general

But the two implementations are quite similar, except that Jackrabbit
has decoupled the persistence implementation in a way that makes it easy
to choose a back-end fitting your deployment. On the other hand Alfresco
is database oriented, which will help with some issues such as
transaction management, clustering, etc.

Of course this is a very summarized view of the two technologies. There
is a lot more to both, but it is not clear to me that one or the other
would better fitted for large hierarchical data.

One thing I have noted is that Alfreso is in full buzz mode right now :)
So it would be nice to have a real-world comparison of the two techs. It
seems to me that Alfresco is more EDM oriented than Jackrabbit though in
terms of a product.

And last time I did performance comparisons, nothing could beat
Jackrabbit in terms of indexing speed, and the possibility to use
file-based persistence was a interesting choice for "lighter"
configurations that still need speed.

For me the big issue with Jackrabbit is to scale it to really large
datasets. I'd love to be able to say that Jackrabbit can scale to a
cluster of 10-20 machines in cluster and managed hierarchical data of 20
million nodes amounting to 100TB of data :)

Regards,
  Serge...