jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl <ki...@subshell.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbits own FileSystem and unit tests
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:17:01 GMT
Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> Christoph Kiehl wrote:
>> I like the idea of having a transactional index but I don't think it's
>> a good idea to read this index from a binary property in a database,
>> because in our case we've got a fairly large repository where we got
>> index files with a size of 40MB. As far as I understand you have to
>> transfer 40MB to the database on every index change that gets
>> committed. Am I right?
>
> In general, this is correct. but lucene is designed in a way that it
> never modifies an existing index file. if you have a 40 MB index segment
> file and you delete a document within that index, lucene will simply
> update a small other file which is kept along the index called
> <segment-name>.del. Adding a new document to an existing index segment
> is not possible, in that case lucene will create a new segment.

Ok. To get this working, you have to create at least one segment per
transaction, right? And index merging could be done in background? Sounds really
interesting. But if the blob values are cached locally they have to be
downloaded on startup first before the index starts to be fast. Or does the blob
cache survive restarts? Lots of questions ;)

Cheers,
Christoph