jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improving the accessibility of the Jackrabbit core
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:32:17 GMT
Hi Jukka,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

> I'm most concerned about the overhead for people going in trying to
> trace why Jackrabbit is behaving the way it does in some specific
> issue. This is often the first step of becoming a contributor, and in
> my opinion it's currently quite a high step to overcome.
Agreed.

> What I'm really after here is enhancing the "given enough eyeballs,
> all bugs are shallow" effect by better enabling not only the detection
> but also the analysis and perhaps even fixing process of issues. I
> think the accessibility of the core codebase is a key issue in
> empowering users to get more involved in the bug resolution process.
Got it. Generally, I am more of a "given the right eyeballs, all bugs
are shallow" type of person to begin with. But I guess that's based on
my personal experience.

If I currently take look at the "shallowness" of actual "core" bugs ;)
in Jackrabbit I see that the Jackrabbit community has an
outstanding bug resolution time. To me this is probably one of the
biggest strengths of Jackrabbit and its community.
Do you see this as a weakness that needs improvement?

> We already have meritocracy and the patch review process in place for
> quality control so I don't really see an issue with making
> contribution easier.
Me neither. I probably did not express that properly, apologies.
I am not afraid of contributions, not at all.
I find the core is very well supported right now. I wonder how
much of our resources we should focus on getting that level
of support and quality even higher in light of other tasks
at hand.

> You are right in focusing the core goals and that there is probably
> only so much work to be done there, but I'd rather see people
> not contributing to the core because of not needing to instead of
> not being able to.
I agree with you 100%.

I think in the end it all boils down to matter of priorities and
I would be very interested in having a discussion around what
we think drives and hinders the Jackrabbit adoption and community
today and tomorrow, and therefore what we should focus on.

regards,
david