jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: is the wiki the right place to distribute binaries?
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:21:47 GMT
On Sep 19, 2006, at 7:00 AM, Edgar Poce wrote:

>  a few days ago a user uploaded to the wiki a zip file which contains
> a jackrabbit installer for jboss. Personally, for lots of reasons, I
> think it's a bad idea to distribute binaries through the wiki and I
> think the asf has well defined procedures for releasing. I invited the
> author to contribute the script to generate the installer but didn't
> get a response.
>
> I think it should be removed, however I don't want to remove a user
> contribution without knowing the wiki policy and others opinions. So,
> wdyt? should we remove the zip file from the wiki?

You are right.  We can link to someone else's website that contains
a page about their own installer, but we can't distribute a binary
that someone else created from our own website.  It needs to be
removed.

BTW, I don't recall seeing any notification for that upload.
Did we get one and I just missed it, or is the wiki software
letting people upload files without sending a notification?

....Roy