jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nuclear Fission, Splitting the core: The SPI Effect [was: Improving the accessibility of the Jackrabbit core]
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 08:34:48 GMT
Hi,

I think it's a good thing to do. Some random ideas:

I don't understand why it needs to be stateless (about my understanding of
stateless, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateless_server). As far as I
see stateless means it's slower, and I really don't like slow ;-) Even HTTP
is becoming more and more stateful to improve performance I guess. Maybe Roy
could give his view about stateless versus stateful. I know there are some
other advantages / disadvantages.

Maybe we actually need two 'standards': a stateful binary protocol, and a
stateless SOAP-style protocol. TCP/IP is the most common 'fast' protocol. I
suggest to standardize the binary wire level  protocol as well (details
could be done after/independent of the SPI).

Requirements of clustering should be kept in mind as well.

And I like the graphic! Nice 3D effect!

Thomas