jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improving the accessibility of the Jackrabbit core
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:10:51 GMT
Hi,

[Hmm, too quick with the send button... more below.]

> On 9/6/06, David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > While I agree that we need to have a modular design where people can
> > plug-in their extensions at certain defined interfaces and extension points,
> > I would discourage the idea that every user needs to be able to submit
> > patches to the core.
>
> I'm most concerned about the overhead for people going in trying to
> trace why Jackrabbit is behaving the way it does in some specific
> issue. This is often the first step of becoming a contributor, and in
> my opinion it's currently quite a high step to overcome.

What I'm really after here is enhancing the "given enough eyeballs,
all bugs are shallow" effect by better enabling not only the detection
but also the analysis and perhaps even fixing process of issues. I
think the accessibility of the core codebase is a key issue in
empowering users to get more involved in the bug resolution process.

> > In my mind the core should be very compact and very controlled since
> > it has to be extremely stable and scalable, meaning that there is not
> > really a need to have dozens of developers working on a more
> > "smallish" core.

We already have meritocracy and the patch review process in place for
quality control so I don't really see an issue with making
contribution easier. You are right in focusing the core goals and that
there is probably only so much work to be done there, but I'd rather
see people not contributing to the core because of not needing to
instead of not being able to.

BR,

Jukka Zitting