jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improving the accessibility of the Jackrabbit core
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 09:58:18 GMT
Hi,

On 9/6/06, David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I think we have to separate the concerns though, I think
> Jukka's initial post was going into the direction of making the internals
> of the core more accessible to more developers.

Correct. In any case, Dave's points are a valuable addition to the
feedback I gathered a while ago before the 1.0 release with the issue
of streamlining the end-user experience.

> While I agree that we need to have a modular design where people can
> plug-in their extensions at certain defined interfaces and extension points,
> I would discourage the idea that every user needs to be able to submit
> patches to the core.

I'm most concerned about the overhead for people going in trying to
trace why Jackrabbit is behaving the way it does in some specific
issue. This is often the first step of becoming a contributor, and in
my opinion it's currently quite a high step to overcome.

> In my mind the core should be very compact and very controlled since
> it has to be extremely stable and scalable, meaning that there is not
> really a need to have dozens of developers working on a more
> "smallish" core.

BR,

Jukka Zitting