jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: One more comment
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:54:53 GMT
Hi,

On 9/1/06, Dan Connelly <dsconnelly@adelphia.net> wrote:
> However, the ocm code has very few dependencies on Jackrabbit.   Why is
> it then to be a Jackrabbit sub-project?

Good question! We actually have a number of subprojects that only
depend on the JCR API and not on the specifics of Jackrabbit core, the
JCR-RMI subproject being a good example.

The reason for not having each of those subprojects as separate Apache
projects is that there is not enough of a community to maintain them
independently. In fact the reason for proposing bringing the Graffito
JCR Mapping tool to the Jackrabbit project is that I believe the
Jackrabbit community to be more conductive for the ongoing development
of the mapping tool than the Graffito community.

> At the risk of being pedantic, let me suggest to you the idea of an
> Apache Content Repository Project, with Jackrabbit, OCM and CDNUtils
> being co-equal sub-projects (in parallel with the Apache (R)DB Project
> having Derby, JDO and DdUtils as its co-equal sub-projects).

That might well be something that we'll evolve into eventually (like a
few years from now), an Apache JCR federation, but as of now I don't
think it makes sense to start splitting up the Jackrabbit community
over code boundaries. A good indication of when we might start
considering setting up a separate project is when the developers of a
subproject start asking for their own mailing list instead of using
the Jackrabbit dev@ list for communication.

BR,

Jukka Zitting