jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Connelly <dsconne...@adelphia.net>
Subject Re: EMF Graffito Integration, Plan B
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:05:49 GMT
Martin:

It appears from Jukka's post yesterday that "jcr-mapping" will be moving
into Jackrabbit sooner rather than later.   It will then have hatched
out of the incubator.   It will have a regular life with a regular
release cycle.

JCR mapping may, in practice, become indistinguishable from Jackrabbit
itself.    Today's rabbit is more Cheshire than Jack anyway, as
programmer Alice sees it, being a smile hung on the JCR.     So, in
practice, the Zen of Jackrabbit might be in its mapping capabilities.

Or, taking that step back, "mapping directly to jackrabbit" will soon be
exactly what my "graffito" project is all about.    Please excuse the
sophistry.

Permit me to return to a topic you raised yesterday on our EMF
integration discussion:   Persisting dynamic EMF models.   This issue
boils down (in my mind) to the question of whether a graffito-like
jcr-mapping file is a necessity or merely useful.

Okay, it is obviously useful.  Is it necessary.     That translates to
the question of whether all objects in an entire EMF JackrabbitResource
can be persisted cleanly, by default.   Presumably there is a
one-size-fits-all emf:unstructured (a spawn of nt:unstructured).    The
answer is Yes, the default mapping would work.   But we are not there yet.

Going *completely* in that direction does eliminate (in my mind) the
need to surface any dependency name other than "jackrabbit".  There are
no visible jcr mapping, graffito or otherwise.     Ideally, Jackrabbit
code would make a default mapping of "object models" (not just EMF)
cleaner and easier than the Graffito code does.

So the bathwater will be thrown out.   But do we keep the baby, this
particular baby?   And does that baby age well?    I think it survives
if the namespace mapping is handled well.   Open questions here.

[Cross CC posting this to Jackrabbit Dev.]

       -- Dan