jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicolas " <nto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding a method to PropInfos
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:47:25 GMT
Of course.

Actually the backup tool is backupping all workspaces and the version node
histories using the XML system view. The advantage of this approach are:
easiness to check the backup is correct, easiness to modify a backup if
needed, built as much as possible on JCR and a little bit on Jackrabbit API,
built on top of existing code so safer in the long run.

Other approaches has been thought of but eliminated compared to the ease of
use of the system view. Please see the wiki on this.

The issue lay in restoring content: the importXML methods have never been
planned to allow restore. They check the content is correct and do not break
anything. For instance, you can't write to a protected Item through this
method. It is of course the right behavior. This is why I wrote  a custom
importer (heavily borrowing code from the WorkspaceImporter) to escape all
checks. But I couldn't do this with PropInfo: a class used to pass the
property of a Node to an Importer... This  class contains a method apply.
This method checks for protection and I need to escape it. It's why I added
a method which *do not* check any protection. It is a small method which
don't break anything and might be useful for others. I am of course open to
other ideas on this issue :) I realize it is not the best solution, but the
best I currently have.

In the longer term, Jukka suggested to create a parameter maintenance mode
which would escape all test (and other things) to allow easier maintenance
of the repository.

I have a similar issue with restoring the Node Version Histories but it's
another post ;)

Cheers,
Nico