jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Piyush Purang" <ppur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSR170 for Source code Version control system
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 08:32:39 GMT
Hi Nicolas,

> Well you could define a property for a Global Revision Number with each
> commit.

Just having a simple global revision number will not do. We will need
a datastructure like this

grn -> versions of nodes different from last increment to grn (global
revision number)

1 -> /a(1)
2 -> /a/b(1)
3 -> /a(2)
4 -> /a/b/c(1)
5 -> /a/b(2)

so revision 5 is /a(2), /a/b(2) and /a/b/c(1)  and you can see how
fast the GRN will be touching big numbers. We will need a mechanism of
grouping check-ins.

> Can you please elaborate on your change sets ideas: I am working on the
> backup tool.

in the cases above the changesets are the differences introduced by a
new check-in i.e. changesets are similar to the patches you have been
submitting for implementing the backup functionality.

initial checkin -> first change set (contains all the content as we
are starting from nothing)
next checkin -> second change set (contains only the differences
introduced by the new check-in)

and so on..

The idea then is that you back up just the changeset and not the
entire content.

Restore starts with taking the initial changeset and applying the
changesets to the point which we need. To enhance performance one
could maintain a structure like this

changeset-init (naming isn't that important you could start with cs-0)
changeset-2
changeset-3
changeset-4
changeset-5
mergedsets-init-5
changeset-6

so as to come to the state reperesented by changeset-6 you'd pickup
mergedset-init-5 and apply changeset-6.  Cool would be - to arrive at
a restore till changeset-4 you remove(subtract) changeset-5 from
mergedsets-init-5 instead of compiling from the begining.

I hope I was lucid enough. Maybe you are already doing that with your
backup tool. I haven't followed the discussions too closely.

Piyush