jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl <ki...@subshell.com>
Subject Re: Reregistering Nodetypes
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:48:33 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:

>> currently there are only API methods to register new nodetypes but not
>> to modify
>> aka reregister nodetypes. I would like to add the following methods to
>> JackrabbitNodeTypeManager:
>
> The current reregister functionality is quite limited in the kinds of
> node type modifications it can do, and there's also been some concern
> on how node type modifications relate to content consistency. One of
> the JSR 283 goals is to specify a node type management API and our
> plan is to implement that API once it's public.

Yeah, I read the current JSR 283 and I like the choosen approach. But I fear
that I might take some time before JSR 283 is final and integrated in Jackrabbit?!
In our case I only need support for trivial nodetype changes since our content
database is too huge anyway to effectively check for content consistency.

> Thus at least I am a bit reluctant on publishing any more of the
> current node type management functionality in the o.a.j.api
> interfaces, i.e. I wouldn't want to commit to maintaining backwards
> compatibility for them, especially since the current functionality is
> too limited for many common use cases.

Ok. May be we could add a

reregisterNodeTypes(InputStream in, String contentType)

to NodeTypeManagerImpl? I just want to avoid to c&p the code from
NodeTypeManagerImpl and save everyone else the hassle to reinvent that code ;)

Cheers,
Christoph