jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Jackrabbits own FileSystem and unit tests
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:24:38 GMT
Christoph Kiehl wrote:
>> in the long term I would like to put the index in the repository
>> itself. but that means that the repository (at least internally) has
>> to support random access on its binary resources.
>
> Hm, sounds interesting, but wouldn't this only work with file system
> based persistence managers?

no, the index would simply store its files as jcr resource nodes and
any persistence manager must be able to handle binary properties.

> I mean, I can't imagine how to get an index
> with decent performance using a database based persistence manager in
> the near future? Do you already have an idea how achieve the needed
> performance?

Jackrabbit already does some optimization. when a binary property is
read it is either copied into memory if it is smaller than 64k or
spooled to a temp file. Further access to that property is then either
directly from memory or a local file.

what's missing is random access support on the BLOBFileValue. This
class currently only offers a plain InputStream.

finally, what is it good for?

- jackrabbit does not need a separate location for the index anymore,
it's all in the repository itself.
- the index will be fully transactional. See issue JCR-204

regards
  marcel