jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject using jackrabbit to store email with meta-data
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:41:20 GMT
i'm interested in associating meta-data with email (tagging if you like your
buzzwords served hot).

i'd like to be able to share the meta-data and emails over the web. this
probably means extending webDAV to provide an alternative to IMAP. (using
HTTP would also allow stuff like better browser integration with mailing
list archives so this would have side benefits as well.)

i want to be able to write rules which run on a server to tag emails and
store them centrally. james (http://james.apache.org) should allow me to get
something basic up and running reasonably quickly and easily (processing
wise) which brings me to the point. it strikes me that it's more natural to
store emails plus meta-data in a content repository such as jackrabbit
rather than in a classic RDBMS. i've done some reading around but i'm very
far from an expert in this area...

so i thought i'd ask the experts here:

1 is jackrabbit really a good match?
2 is there anyone already working in this space?
3 any interest in developing these ideas further?

any general advice about this space would also be very gratefully received
;-)

- robert