jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Restore Operations
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:08:47 GMT
Hi,

On 7/29/06, Nicolas <ntoper@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1/ I want to restart my repository and everything's associated with it. I
> don't want to keep anything from the current installation.

This is the main use case at least in my mind. The worst case scenario
is that I've lost an entire server where I was running Jackrabbit, and
now I need to recreate the repository from the latest backup.

> 2/ I want to restore some specific subset of the repository. For instance,
> only the NodeTypes.

This would be a nice addition, and probably not even that hard at
least for some subsets of the backup, but for me this is a secondary
need.

> - I would prefer to delete first what is there (for instance all NodeTypes)
> and then load what is inside the backup. Wouldn't this raise consistance
> issue (if I delete the NodeType, whart about the Nodes having this type?)?
> Wouldn't it be preferable to simply add the content of the backup? (The best
> is of course to implement it both way, but I don't think I will have enough
> time to make it so).

Such a partial restore should in my mind always be incremental, i.e.
you never remove any of the existing content unless there's a UUID or
name conflict. You can handle these using the standard
importSystemView options, or you could simply abort when conflicts are
encountered.

BR,

Jukka Zitting