jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using jackrabbit to store email with meta-data
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:24:20 GMT
Hi,

On 7/13/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> the folder metaphor is widely used today. most clients use it extensively.
> many mailing list archives are also organised in hierachical fashion. so,
> integrating with existing email clients means supporting a hierarchy.

You're right. My POV was more of email as a flat sequence of incoming
messages, with any threading, foldering, labelling, etc. hierarchy
structure as an add-on metadata layer, but of course it would make
sense to use one of those hierarchies as the primary structure for a
JCR mapping.

> one POV is that everything is meta-data. presenting meta-data query results
> as folders would be powerful.

Agreed. JCR supports both references and saved queries for efficient
access to a configured subset of nodes within a repository.

> (until i looked into it) i didn't realise that jackrabbit supported webDAV.
> this is interesting since i think that using a webDAV email vocabulary
> (analogous to calDAV) as an alternative to IMAP has some real advantages for
> the kinds of application i'm interested in. there's some interest over at
> the IETF on this subject.

Sounds interesting!

> would jackrabbit be able to provide a reasonble prototyping environment (in
> the sense of being able to try concepts without a lot of ceremony for email
> over webDAV)...?

There has been discussion about generalizing the WebDAV implementation
in Jackrabbit. Some parts are already quite general, i.e. the
Jackrabbit WebDAV server already provides two alternate (file- and
item-based) views to the repository content. Prototyping an "email
view" would be an interesting challenge.

> i'd be very glad to help out if you want to develop the port on list but i'd
> like to try to triangulate data types with james developers (probably when
> i'm a little further on) and the ietf working group. that sound ok to you?

Sounds good. I'm also OK with continuing the discussion on the James
mailing list or somewhere else if you think it would be better.
There's a lot of JCR experts on this mailing list, but probably not
that many email experts.

> which import tools?

I wrote a simple import tool that was able to pull email from IMAP
servers and mbox files and push it to a relational database using my
"Yukatan data model" schema. It should be relatively straightforward
to port that tool to use a JCR repository. The importer is available
in CVS at http://sourceforge.net/projects/yukatan, but I'd be happy to
move the code to ASF if there's interest.

BR,

Jukka Zitting