jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using jackrabbit to store email with meta-data
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:42:41 GMT
Hi,

On 7/12/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> it strikes me that it's more natural to store emails plus meta-data in a content
> repository such as jackrabbit rather than in a classic RDBMS.
> [...]
> 1 is jackrabbit really a good match?

I think so. Although email storage is not inherently hierarchical
(unless you opt for a folder structure), using a content repository
does give you a set of nice features like built-in full text indexing
and a flexible data model that would be hard to achieve with a
relational database.

> 2 is there anyone already working in this space?

I had similar thoughts two years ago with RDBMs, but I never took the
idea further than creating the data model and some initial email
importers. I looked at Apache James as a possible tool to work with,
but the barrier of entry was too high for my limited amount of time at
that time. Later on I went with GMail and most of the itch was gone.

See http://yukatan.sourceforge.net/sql/yukatan.html for the relational
data model I created.

> 3 any interest in developing these ideas further?

Yes. I'm not totally happy with GMail, and every now and then I've
been playing with the idea of porting the relational model to JCR node
types and the import tools to use the JCR API.

BR,

Jukka Zitting