jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IllegalArgumentException with invalid UUID
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 20:46:28 GMT
Hi,

On 7/2/06, Tobias Bocanegra <tobias.bocanegra@day.com> wrote:
> why? it's an illegal argument, since the uuid format is not valid.
> i disagree to throw another exception. i suggest to add the
> IllegalArgumentException to the spec/javadoc.

The spec never references the UUID specification or defines the UUID
format being used. There's even an example with "1111 2222 3333 4444"
as an UUID, so to me the UUID format in JCR is not really clear enough
to warrant an IllegalArgumentException.

And even if it were clearly defined, I'd still vote for an
ItemNotFoundException because the application calling
Session.getNodeByUUID() is primarily looking for the node and doesn't
care whether the UUID format is correct. Throwing an unchecked
exception will definitely surprise a number of applications. Even a
RepositoryException would be better than IllegalArgumentException.

The same logic could also be applied to Session.getItem(). Currently
we throw a RepositoryException when encountering an invalid path.

BR,

Jukka Zitting