jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Kennedy <da...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Logging into a repository multiple times
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:45:26 GMT
Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote on 06/27/2006 03:25:47
PM:

> David Kennedy wrote:
> > Is a user permitted to login to the same repository/same workspace
> > multiple times?
>
> yes
>
> > So they'll have multiple sessions.....If so, why are
> > lockTokens restricted to a single session?  They are ineffective when
> > applied to a second session.  What's the reason for this restriction?
>
> This restriction ensures that only one active session is holding a lock
> and is able to modify the locked node.

Thanks.  I understand the synchronization, but why is that necessary?  It
seems contradictory to the optimistic model of InvalidItemStateException
in JSR 170.  Why couldn't an application be the decision point of whether
multiple sessions can unlock the nodes, or even which sessions?  Isn't
that the idea behind the lockTokens in the first place?