jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Shanmugam Gopal" <haishanmu...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about versioning
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:50:54 GMT
Dear All,

With reference to Jackrabbit versioning, I have some questions.

Let us assume that the version history of a node is something like
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4(current version).

Now from version 1.4, it is restored to version 1.2 using restore method of
javax.jcr.Node.
After making one more change to this node, the next version becomes 1.3.1 ?

It is very confusing...!!!!  Do you people think is it correct behaviour ?

And, Is it possible to have versioning sequence like 1, 2, 3, 4......etc,
instead of 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.....etc.

Regards,
Shan

>From: "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocanegra@day.com>
>To: dev@jackrabbit.apache.org
>Subject: Re: Questions about versioning
>Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:45:00 +0200
>
>hi paco,
>please note, that versioning has nothing to do with locking.
>
>>- If the user A performs a Checkout, why can user B modify and checkin?
>becauses it's not locking....
>
>>- Do the A user have to lock himself the node?
>yes.
>
>>- If the user B can modify and perform a checkin, what happends if
>>meanwhile user A modify the node? In my test, the last modification
>>(user A) is versioned, and the user B modification (performed before
>>user A modification) is lost. Is this ok?
>yes.
>
>>So, if all these is fine I have to do something like this:
>>
>>-> User A lock node
>>-> User A performs checkout
>>-> User A modify node
>>-> User A performs checkin
>>-> User A unlock node
>>
>>isn't it?
>correct.
>
>if you don't want to use locking, you can create several workspaces
>for you users. for example workspace A for user A, and workspace B for
>user B:
>
>- User A logs into workspace A
>- User B logs into workspace B
>- A does a checkout of Node N
>- B does a checkout of Node N
>- A modifies N and does checkin -> version 1.1
>- B modifies N and does checkin -> version 1.0.1 (new branch, since
>1.1 already exists)
>
>hope this helps.
>regards, toby
>
>--
>Tobias Bocanegra, Day Management AG, Barfuesserplatz 6, CH - 4001 Basel
>T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97

Tried the new MSN Messenger? Itís cool! Download now.
http://messenger.msn.com/Download/Default.aspx?mkt=en-in