jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Felix Meschberger" <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Client/Server question
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 12:12:32 GMT
Hi Nicolas,

I agree to include these methods on the repository layer. But thinking
about the extent - rather than the intrincacies of handling concurrent
modifications while backing up - I would have some remarks:

(1) I would modify the signature to take InputStream and OutputStream
objects, resp. This provides for more flexibility in terms of source
and destination of the backup data.

(2) Initially you mentioned a configuration file for the
backup/restore procedures. I suggest you define configuration classes
(interfaces), which can load/store themselves to and from streams
(yes, I do not like being locked into File instances :-) and to add
instances of the toplevel configuration (e.g. BackupConfiguration) as
a parameter to the backup/restore methods.

These two changes would greatly improve the flexibility using the API
from within an application as opposed to from the command line. Also
testing would be greatly simplified, I suppose.

Regards
Felix