jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Repository inconsistent with xmlpersistentmanager
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 09:38:11 GMT
hi cédric,

On 5/19/06, Cédric Damioli <cedric.damioli@anyware-tech.com> wrote:
> Stefan Guggisberg a écrit :
> > hi raphaël
> >
> > On 5/19/06, Raphaël Franchet <raphael@anyware-tech.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm using JR 1.0 with the xmlPersistanceManager.
> >
> > the XMLPersistenceManager is not recommended to be used
> > in a production environment. its major flaw , apart from being dead
> > slow ;),
> > is that it is 'non-transactional', i.e. if your jvm process suffers a
> > sudden death
> > (power outage, kill, etc) you'll very likely end up with an
> > inconsistent repository
> > state (like the one you described).
> >
> > by using jackrabbit's default configuration (i.e.
> > DerbyPersistenceManager)
> > you avoid such issues.
> >

> Hi Marcel,
>
> We know that "now" the XMLPM is not the recommanded one, but as early
> adopters of Jackrabbit, more than one year ago, there was only XMLPM and
> ObjectPM :-)
>
> We now have an inconsistent repository. What would you suggest ?
> Migration to a new PM (if it is possible) ? Debugging of our current
> repository ?

i suggest you migrate your content to a new pm. you could write a fairly
simple utility class that instantiates both pm's, reads from one and writes
to the other.

> BTW, what would you recommend as a new PM : DerbyPM or BerkeleyDBPM ?

i'd recommend DerbyPersistenceManager. it's jackrabbit's default pm and
welll tested. the berkeley db pm is an interesting alternative but it doesn't
seem to be actively maintained. there are also licensing issues which prohibit
its promotion to core.

cheers
stefan