jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: General Questions about Jackrabbit
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 11:20:44 GMT
> 1) Is it feasible to use Jackrabbit with a web framework of another language
> (eg. RubyOnRails, PHP) ?
afaik, there is a php port of jsr170. but i don't know how this
connects to a jackrabbit repository. probably via rmi.

> The only way I can think of integrating the two
> together, is through exporting the repository to XML and then parsing the
> XML  on the web tier
that would not be very efficient and i wonder why you would want that.
especially, how you would trigger the export?

> 2) As Jackrabbit is primarily used for building CMSs,
that is not the case at all. first, jackrabbit is the reference
implemenation of JCR (jsr170), the Java Content Repository API. second
the jcr was not designed to suit any special usecase. just as content
repository api. but of course, one very common type of application
that levereges jcr are CMS.

> I'm wondering if it's
> suitable for ecommerce (shopping cart, order management) systems too?
sure. content repositories are theoretically a superset of rdbms and
therefore can be used for everything rdbms can.

regards, toby

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97