jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jcr-rmi behind firewall
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 06:10:05 GMT
Hi,

On 5/20/06, Carlos Villegas <cav@uniscope.jp> wrote:
> My question is then, why is this port used and where is created. I
> didn't see any explicit creation of sockets in the jcr-rmi code. I'm
> guessing that since it uses the java RMI API, probably the RMI API is
> defaulting to an anonymous port when a connection factory of some sort
> is created. But surely this can be configured.

By default RMI opens an anonymous port for each new remote object. It
is possible to configure the port or even the entire communication
protocol by passing a custom socket factory to the created remote
objects. However, at the moment JCR-RMI doesn't support custom socket
factories out of the box. Please file an enhancement request at Jira
if you'd like to see that feature.

The RMI FAQ lists a few options for firewall traversal at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/rmi/faq.html#firewallOut.
HTTP tunneling sounds like the best alternative in your case.

BR;

Jukka Zitting