jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance problems with RMI
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 08:17:51 GMT
Hi,

On 5/2/06, Bernd Rücker <maillists@camunda.com> wrote:
> I am using the JAckRabbit RMI component (1.0) to build a Java Swing
> application to maintain JCR-Content. The Repository now is on a different
> machine than the client, communication over RMI.
>
> But the client gets very slow, currently we can not use it in production
> which this speed :-(
>
> Any hints to this issue? Or exists a RMI-implementation with a cache
> included (I think that could help a little bit)? Or some idea how to include
> a cache very easy (I do not want to reimplement all the RMI-Client classes
> with a cache)?

Unfortunately the current JCR-RMI has limited performance by design.
See my recent message on the users list for details:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.user/98

One quick fix to get a performance boost, especially if you're using a
large number of individual Property instances, is to use a custom
SocketFactory that routes the remote calls to the number of remote
instances through a single persistent TCP connection to avoid the
overhead of a number of separate TCP handshakes.

BR,

Jukka Zitting