jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: jackrabbit & clustering
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 09:25:17 GMT
Giota Karadimitriou wrote:
> What I want to accomplish is let the other shisms know that the
> persistent storage that these states depend upon, has changed. I took a
> more careful look at the code but the problem is that I don't know where
> to fire the proper events... should it be on the item state itself or on
> the underlying item state of an item state.

the state events should be triggered on the shared states. those are at the very
bottom and will never have an overlayed state.

> What should I do if the underlying state does not exist?

this depends on what exactly you mean by 'it does not exist'. 1) if you mean that the
state does not exist in the cache of the shism then the state can simply be loaded
from persistent storage. an alternative design is to send not just the ids of the
states that changed but the whole state. this allows other shism to process the
change without having to call the persistence manager. 2) if you mean that the state
does not exist anymore at all, this can only be caused by a item remove operation. in
that case the state needs to be destroyed anyway and is not of interest anymore.

> I tried to answer these questions
> myself however I do not know if I am on the right path. Please take a
> look at the following draft code regarding just the modified states.
>
> For all ids where *id* is obtained from shism1.shared.modified do for
> shism2..shismn:
>
> Iterator it=shism1.shared.modifiedStates();
>
> while (it.hasNext()){
>
>       Object state = (ItemState)it.next();
>       ItemId id=state.getId();
> if (shism2.hasItemState(id)) {
> 	if (shism2.hasNonVirtualItemState(id)){
> 		if (shism2.cache.isCached(id))
>     			shism2.cache.evict(id)
> 		} else {
> 			//virtual or transient
> 			ItemState is= shism2.getItemState(id);
> 			//WHAT TO DO NOW? IS THIS CORRECT?

at this point I'd say you have to connect the state from shism1 (I assume this is a
copy of the state) with the state from shism2 and then push the changes down. after
that you have to trigger the appropriate event. I'd say notifyStateUpdated().

> 			if (is.hasOverlayedState()){
> 	    			ItemState over= is.getOverlayedState();
> 				//over.copy(state);   necessary?
> over.notifyStateUpdated();
> 			} else {
> 				// use shism2.loadItemState(id) instead
> of state?
> 	    			is.connect(state);
> 			}
>
> 		}
> 	}
>
> }
> }
>
> Again many thanks for the support you have provided me with so far. I do
> not want to monopolize the list with my questions however some things in
> the code are difficult to understand without help.

don't worry, that's the purpose of this list.

regards
  marcel