jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Miro Walker" <miro.wal...@cognifide.com>
Subject RE: Location for binary contents
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 09:25:50 GMT
I can't see why a blob on the FS would be faster to search - searching
should happen against the lucene index, no? Retrieval and streaming of
large blobs are likely to be faster from the FS, but I don't think
search itself would be.

-----Original Message-----
From: hsp [mailto:piccinatto@ibest.com.br]
Sent: 05 April 2006 19:23
To: dev@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Location for binary contents

So, the place for the blob files must be, or only can be, in the same
tree of jboss files where is the Repository Server. About the db, ok, it
can be on another independent machine.
The only issue I think in store blob outside the db is referente to
backup methods. The blob in filesystem is faster to search and
manipulate than if it is stored in a db.

>Hi again Helio.
>
>I think is possible to separate:
>
>- Web container in a machine
>- Repository and Data Storage in another machine
>- MetaData about the Nodes and properties in a DataBase in another
machine

>With JCRServer, you can configure a remote repository, with a workspace

>with SimpleDBPersister for metadata. You can store this metadata in a
>DataBase in the same or in another machine setting the parameters. For
>example:
>

>In the workspace.xml configuration file, you can set "externalBLOBs"
>parameter true. Then you could have:
>
>*Web
>Container with                   JCRServer                    DataBase
>applications                        *(Where you

>*Server*
>(Configured to  ------------------>    save binary files  ------>
>(MetaData)
>connect with                            in a file System)
>JCRServer)
>
>Regards
>
>>Here I go again, another question to clarify my mind about jackrabbit
configuration.
>>In a workspace I can configure the content to be stored parcial in a
db (metadata) and the binary files in a filesystem. In this case the
directory with the indexes and also with the blob files will be locate
in some like this: /usr/lib/jboss4/bin/myrepository...
>>I would to know if the structure, starting in "myrepository" would be
in another location, such as a storage system in another machine, thats
is not the same the machine running the container web where the
repository application server is.