jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SQLException "Data too long" using SimpleDbPersistenceManager/MySQL
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:02:38 GMT
don't panic, folks! ;)

the default schema for derby uses a 'blob' column for storing the
serialized node states. as brian pointed out correctly, the blob
column has a max. size of 1mb if no size has been specified.

i ran a quick test: i was able to add ~37k child nodes before hitting
the 1mb size limit. i think that this is perfectly reasonable and
i guess that most repositories won't ever come near this limit.

however, if you really think that you need to be able to add more
than ~30k child nodes to one single node you could easily change
your schema, e.g. by specifying 'blob(5M)' as the data type of
the NODE_DATA column..

again: i would stronlgy discourage from this kind of 'flat' repository
model unless you have a very compelling reason. jcr's data model is
inherently hierarchical so i'd suggest to better make use of this powerfull
feature.

cheers
stefan