jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Importing workspaces, content handler.
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:03:11 GMT
hi martin

On 4/9/06, Martin Perez <mpermar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The biggest issued that I'm currently facing with Jackrabbit is being able
> to migrate workspaces from one version to another. For example, I have on
> the recent version of my nodetypes hierarchy I have removed two properties.
> This removal forces me to be able to migrate workspaces from previous
> versions using some SAX parsing algorithm.
>
> So my approach is:
>   - read the exported workspace file
>   - Filter the content through SAX handlers
>   - Import the content on the new workspace.
>
> So my first question is do  you know about better alternatives than this
> approach?
>
> And then I would also want to raise discussion about having the possibility
> of setting the import content handler on Jackrabbit. If I could extend the
> current import content handler and set that customized import content
> handler on the repository then it would be easier for me to perform the
> migration. I think that this is also something very reasonable, to be able
> to customize the import algorithm on your repositories.
>
> What do you think? Can I open a JIRA improvement?

the current 'import' implementation is quite complex as it has to deal
with a lot of 'under-the-hood' details. for that reason i would rather not
make it pluggable.

you could e.g. write your own sax event handler that does some custom
filtering before delegating to the handler returned by
Workspace#getImportContentHandler.

cheers
stefan