jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Darton" <pet...@intrinsica.co.uk>
Subject RE: Scalability/Clustering
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:12:00 GMT
> > Therefore I am a little concerned about scalability.
> did you find a solution to the scalability problem?

I don't know if you're aware of it, but there's a project/product called
"Magnolia" that's based on JackRabbit.
It "solved" its scalability issue by embedding a repository (actually a
set of 4) in every server that serves up read-only content, and all
changes to that content get done through a single "master" server (which
it calls the "private" server) which then updates all the "slave"
servers (which it calls "public" servers).
The downside, of course, of such data duplication is that keeping the
different repositories in step is difficult, and in Magnolia's case, the
linkage between private and public data is fragile.  However, it's a
fairly simple answer that works for situations which are almost entirely
read-only (or where write performance is not important).

There is also at least one commercial JCR implementation that promises
performance and scalability in exchange for your money.  I don't know
how much better that might be compared to a base JackRabbit though,
although I expect a favourable outcome would be valuable to their
marketing dept.

  Peter

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by Verizon Business Internet Managed Scanning Services