jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: residual definition xml implementation
Date Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:38:10 GMT
Hi,

On 4/15/06, Greg Kick <gk5885@kickstyle.net> wrote:
> i have a quick question about node type definitions.  jackrabbit
> consistently (NodeTypeWriter, custom_nodetypes.xml, etc.) uses
> name="*" for residual definitions in the xml format.  however, p. 144
> of the jsr170 spec says that * is not a valid name and the attribute
> should be dropped for residual definitions.  so the question is
> whether it was used on purpose in jackrabbit or if this is a
> mistake.  i haven't looked at the code much, but it seems like it
> would actually be harder to implement with the * than without...
> anyway, a little insight would be appreciated because googleing the
> archives gave me nothing.

It is arguable whether name="*" or no name attribute is clearer, but
both are valid solutions as there is no fear of collision between "*"
and any valid property name. I suppose the main reasons for using "*"
is that 1) the JCR specification uses "*" as the "name" of residual
definitions, and that 2) the Jackrabbit internals use the
ItemDef.ANY_NAME constant (defined as: new QName("", "*")) to identify
residual definitions.

BR,

Jukka Zitting