jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is doc addition / indexing synchronous or asynchronous?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:09:21 GMT
Hi,

On 4/5/06, thomasg <thomasgascoigne@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I assume that calling session.save() causes new documents to be added to the
> data storage and then indexed by Lucene. Is addition / indexing synchronous
> or asynchronous, i.e, does addition and indexing have to complete before the
> method returns, or are these tasks handed to another thread?

The indexer uses observation events to trigger the indexing of nodes
so the process is asynchronous.

> When debugging tests I seem to get quite long delays on session.save() with
> large documents (around 1 min for 50MB).

That sounds like an awfully long time. What FileSystem and
PersistenceManager are you using in your configuration? Are you using
transactions?

> Also can the synch / asynch behaviour be modified?

No, not unless you want to make extensive changes to Jackrabbit core. :-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting