jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion for split of JCR-Server
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:01:15 GMT
hi daniel

agreed on the basics. however, i would not want to push
the jackrabbit/webdav part too early (and not before its
well established).

regarding your example:

i don't see any benefit of having 'jackrabbit' there.
the focus should remain on webDAV against jsr170 (and
its successor jsr283).

> We could provide two different impls of the api for jackrabbit, one for client side
> access and one for server side access. Once the api is implemented the webdav-servlet

> can be used to access jackrabbit using the webdav protocol.

if i'm getting you right this is what we called the remoting
of jsr170 via webdav). from my experience i'd say this is
a different story than a generic webdav implementation (or whatever
you want to call it) and this is one of reasons to suggest a split
of  the current 'jcr-server' project. jsr170 matches quite well to
the rfc 2518 and its extensions but not completely. on the other
hand there is quite some additional functionality in the webdav
rfc that has not correspondence within jsr170 (some will probably
be addressed with jsr283).

regards
angela