jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: efficient note type indexing
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:37:59 GMT
Hi Florent,

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a node that has lots of unordered children nodes. Some of these
> nodes are "real children" in the document management sense, the others
> (in small number) are just nodes that hold complex datatypes but are
> really part of the main document.
> I'd like to access both categories of nodes in an efficient manner:
> - get only the nodes for my complex datatypes,
> - get the list of "real children" nodes.

when you say 'get a list of child nodes' isn't it easier just using the
api instead of a query? Node.getNodes() and then have a custom
NodeIterator that filters out unnecessary nodes?

> I have flexibility in deciding how these node are typed. I can have
> mixin types that are used as marker interface for these two categories.
> Or (preferably) I can rely on the supertypes for my node types to
> distinguish between the two.
> What would you recommend so that my queries are processed efficiently,
> using underlying indexes?

using different types for the child nodes is definitively a good idea,
as it helps narrowing down the set of nodes that may match.

View raw message